Ancestry Library Edition — NOTE: in-library access only
Discover your ancestors with the world's largest family history website. Start a family tree, browse census records and more online at Ancestry.
MyHeritage Library Edition focuses on people-based records, which contain information about both everyday people and prominent individuals across societies and periods of time. This emphasis, plus the strength of the index, enables users to access information both about specialized topics (regions, time periods) as well as social, cultural, and political trends.
➤ Visit MyHeritage Library Edition*
*Note: The above link takes you to an Ebsco verification home page. From this page, you must click on the MyHeritage Library Edition link to begin using the service. Access is available to all users inside the Library. Library card holders may access MyHeritage outside of the Library with their 10-digit Ohio County Public Library card number.
HeritageQuest Online is designed for genealogy and family history research. It includes over 25,000 books, the entire US Census, and other expanding collections, making it one of the largest collections of genealogy material in the country.
➤ Access HeritageQuest Library Edition now
*Note: Access is available to all users inside the Library. Library card holders may access HeritageQuest outside of the Library with their 10-digit Ohio County Public Library card number.
Distributed by ProQuest, Fold3 Library Edition by Ancestry provides convenient access to US military records, including the stories, photos, and personal documents of the men and women who served. This continually-growing collection contains millions of records from world-class archives.
➤ Access Fold3 Library Edition now
*Note: Access is available to all users inside the Library. Library card holders may access Fold3 outside of the Library with their 10-digit Ohio County Public Library card number.
referenceUSA is a premier source of business and residential information with more than 40 million businesses, 150 million households across the U.S. and Canada, and 270 million consumers available for Library patrons to search.
➤ Access referenceUSA now
*Note: Access is available to all users inside the Library. Library card holders may access referenceUSA outside of the Library with their 10-digit Ohio County Public Library card number.
Academic & General Reference Databases
Merck Manuals: no card needed
The Merck Manuals are one of the world’s most widely used medical information resources. The Merck Manuals are a comprehensive medical information source covering thousands of topics in all fields of medicine. They are offered as a free public service to health care professionals (medical and veterinary) and the general public. Find information on medical topics, symptoms, drugs, procedures, news, and more, written in everyday language.
Salem Press: requires OCPL library card number
Access our Salem Press reference collection online. Includes: "Civil Disobedience, Social Justice, Nationalism & Populism, Violent Demonstrations and Race Relations"; "Treaties in the News"; "The 50 States"; "This Is Who We Were: Colonial America, 1492-1775"; "Magill’s Medical Guide, 8th Edition"; "Milestone Documents in American History"; and "Salem Health: Women’s Health".
WVInfoDepot.org, the West Virginia eLibrary, is an anywhere, anytime library that you can access from your home pc, school library, or mobile device. WVInfoDepot.org provides access to millions of magazine and newspaper articles, ebooks, digital images, test preparation, primary source materials and more.
WVInfoDepot.org is funded by the federal Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) via the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS) through the West Virginia Library Commission. Additional resource funding is provided by the State of West Virginia.
West Virginians can explore online articles and images from popular magazines, scholarly journals, current newspapers, and other reference works through WVInfoDeport.org or through their public library website. Some resources listed below may ask you to enter a username and password to continue. You may obtain a username and password by calling the Library at 304-232-0244 (please ask to be connected to the Reference Desk). UPDATE 3/17/20: During the Library's closure due to concerns over the potential spread of the Coronavirus (COVID-19), we will be temporarily providing login information to our online users below:
Most WVInfoDepot.org resources use the following login:
User Name: west | Password: Virginia20!
World Book is an exception and uses the following:
User Name: 4west | Password: virginia
LearningExpress Library and Job & Career Accelerator have separate logins. Each user will have to create their own personal user name and password directly on those sites.
SEARCH WVInfoDepot (Call the Library for username and password):
Search Consumer Reports through WVInforDepot (Call the Library for username and password):
- Alt HealthWatch: Online alternative consumer health information.
- Business Source Elite: Online business-focused magazines and company profiles.
➤ View an online tutorial for Business Source Elite.
- Consumer Health Complete: Online health-focused fact sheets and diagrams, drug information, procedure explanation.
➤ View an online tutorial for Consumer Health Complete.
- Explora Primary: For pre-kindergarten to 5th-grade students. Online articles from magazines and newspapers.
- Explora Middle and High School: For 5th-12th grade students. Articles from magazines, books, primary source documents, images, videos, and newspapers.
- Explora Magazines and Newspapers: For all-ages. General interest magazines, books, primary source documents, images, videos, and newspapers.
➤ View an online tutorial for Explora Magazines and Newspapers.
- GreenFILE: Online government and general-interest titles. Contains articles on green building, sustainable agriculture, renewable energy, and more.
- Health Source — Consumer Edition: Online general consumer health information.
- Health Source — Nursing/Academic Edition: Academic focused health information. Also, contains the Lexi-PAL Drug Guide.
- Job & Career Accelerator: Online up-to-date employment directory, resume and cover letter creator, and computer skill tutorials.
- LearningExpress Library: Online academic and career practice tests. Areas covered include SAT preparation courses, SAT practice exams, civil service, cosmetology, EMS, firefighter, GED, law enforcement, military, postal services, real estate, U.S. citizenship, and more.
- Legal Information Reference Center: Provides access to legal publications and forms for citizens and small businesses.
- Library, Information Science, & Technology Abstracts: An index to journals, books, research reports, and proceedings. Subject coverage includes librarianship, classification, cataloging, bibliometrics, online information retrieval, information management and more.
- Niche Academy: Online tutorials for databases and web applications, like Gmail, Pinterest, and more.
- NoveList Plus: Online tool to help readers of all ages find new books to read based on books they’ve already read or topics in which they are interested.
- NoveList Plus K-8 Plus: Find just the right book by subject, age, awards won, Lexile Reading levels, State standards; even books made into movies, and much more. Read reviews and learn about the author.
- Points of View Reference Center: Middle school through college undergraduate and General user. Features information and opinions on hundreds of today’s hottest social issues. Continuously updated pro/con viewpoint essays, topic overviews, primary source documents, biographies, court-case overviews, periodical articles, tables/charts/graphs, and more.
➤ View an online tutorial for Points of View Reference Center.
- Regional Business News: Incorporates regional business magazines covering all metropolitan and rural areas within the United States.
- TOPICsearch: Explores social, political & economic issues, scientific discoveries, and other popular topics; includes controversial opinions and viewpoints.
- World Book Online: Reliable information for homework, reports, or general questions from World Book Encyclopedia. Includes:
- World Book Kids – For elementary users. Includes lesson plans, science activities, comparable animal and geography features, interactive maps, challenging games, and biographies.
- World Book Student – Content for upper-elementary and middle-grade users. Includes resources where users can save, notate, and organize articles, biographies, and other content.
- World Book Advanced – Specifically organized for high school and pre-college users. Contains all of the resources of World Book Student plus primary source materials.
- World Book Discover
- Enciclopedia Estudiantil Hallazgos
- Early World Of Learning, World Book eBooks, and World Book Timelines.